Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Readings at Mass

Wednesday 30 July 2014 Wednesday of week 17 in Ordinary Time ________________________________________ First reading Jeremiah 15:10,16-21 © ‘Woe is me, my mother, for you have borne me to be a man of strife and of dissension for all the land. I neither lend nor borrow, yet all of them curse me. ‘When your words came, I devoured them: your word was my delight and the joy of my heart; for I was called by your name, the Lord, God of Hosts. I never took pleasure in sitting in scoffers’ company; with your hand on me I held myself aloof, since you had filled me with indignation. Why is my suffering continual, my wound incurable, refusing to be healed? Do you mean to be for me a deceptive stream with inconstant waters?’ To which the Lord replied, ‘If you come back, I will take you back into my service; and if you utter noble, not despicable, thoughts, you shall be as my own mouth. They will come back to you, but you must not go back to them. I will make you a bronze wall fortified against this people. They will fight against you but they will not overcome you, because I am with you to save you and to deliver you – it is the Lord who speaks. I mean to deliver you from the hands of the wicked and redeem you from the clutches of the violent.’ ________________________________________ Psalm Psalm 58:2-5,10-11,17-18 © O God, you have been a refuge in the day of my distress. Rescue me, God, from my foes; protect me from those who attack me. O rescue me from those who do evil and save me from blood-thirsty men. O God, you have been a refuge in the day of my distress. See, they lie in wait for my life; powerful men band together against me. For no offence, no sin of mine, Lord, for no guilt of mine they rush to take their stand. O God, you have been a refuge in the day of my distress. O my Strength, it is you to whom I turn, for you, O God, are my stronghold, the God who shows me love. O God, you have been a refuge in the day of my distress. As for me, I will sing of your strength and each morning acclaim your love for you have been my stronghold, a refuge in the day of my distress. O God, you have been a refuge in the day of my distress. O my Strength, it is you to whom I turn, for you, O God, are my stronghold, the God who shows me love. O God, you have been a refuge in the day of my distress. ________________________________________ Gospel Acclamation Ps118:105 Alleluia, alleluia! Your word is a lamp for my steps and a light for my path. Alleluia! Or Jn15:15 Alleluia, alleluia! I call you friends, says the Lord, because I have made known to you everything I have learnt from my Father. Alleluia! ________________________________________ Gospel Matthew 13:44-46 © Jesus said to the crowds, ‘The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field which someone has found; he hides it again, goes off happy, sells everything he owns and buys the field. ‘Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls; when he finds one of great value he goes and sells everything he owns and buys it.’

No comments:

Post a Comment